Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sorry No Pictures

This might seem pretty strange for those not lucky enough to be in Alberta but after last week’s snowstorm, which claimed my Oakley prescription spectacles, this week I drove back down up to Red Deer in the Lebaron with the top down in 17 degree Celsius sunshine (62 degrees Fahrenheit).

Today the temperature in Calgary the temperature hit 20 degrees Celsius (68 F) and, among the imagination-free BMWs and Acuras, I caught, out of the corner of my eye, a red TR6 with the top down speeding down the off ramp from Nose Hill drive onto Crowchild Trail in the Northwest of Calgary. The sight was inspiring.

You’ll have to take my word for it that I worked on the car this weekend as I forgot the SD card for the camera back in Calgary.

Friday I spent putting together the top and bottom A-arms. I reassembled the painted struts and installed the various bushings. Seems pretty boring stuff but it was all to avoid wirebrushing the inter-driver’s side wheel well.

I’ve really hit a wall when it comes to the wheel well. I spent most of my weekend doing everything I could do to work around it. I painted and mounted a large crossbeam piece at the front of the car I can only adequately describe as a “bulkhead”. I know that is not what it is but it’s late and I’m not going to squint at the TRF catalogue to try and figure it out.

What I do know is the front sway bar attaches to this bulkhead piece. Installing the sway bar is very satisfying process. I had all new hardware and bushings so it was great fun and surprisingly made a huge difference on how the front of the car looked – completion-wise. I kept putting the radiator into its spot in the engine bay to see how it looked after I installed the sway bar and bulkhead. That was fun – and looked cool.

I would have gotten more done but my Saturday was interrupted by various guests. A pair of older fellows showed up early on to take a look at the Lebaron (hence why I brought it back from Calgary). I liked these guys and we spoke for more than a couple of hours. We played with the idea of trading a quad bike for the Lebaron but in the end I decided against it as I have no interest in or knowledge about quads and the selling there of.

That might not have queered the deal as this old boy seems to still have Lebaron fever. He has me holding the car for a week (for a fee) and we will relook it next weekend.

After lunch Bryan of best man and KC trip fame showed up and we discussed a business idea I have been contemplating as my employment situation continues. Another friend, Dylan, showed up and as he, like Bryan, is related to the industry I’m considering a business in, I picked his brain over a few beers.

By the time Dylan and Bryan had left and I had down something like five beers and ambition had left me. I did my best to burn steaks for me and mom and promptly fell asleep on the couch at 8pm. I woke up at midnight with a headache. I hate to admit it but this is a pretty accurate impression of my dad.

Sunday I did my best to make up of my social Saturday and got the steering rack cleaned up and painted that and some frame painting done in the engine bay made up my Sunday.

Today, Monday my Steering bushing kit showed up from Art Lipp. Thank you Art. Given that and the fact that I have all the steering parts painted up I might have the steering mechanics together very soon.

I might not get to work on the car this weekend as I am being fitted for my wedding jacket on Saturday. That’s a shame given my six weekend streak.

Hope this post finds you all well and…

…stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. The journey to restoration continues..so far the biggest obstacles appear to be visitors and an ample supply of beer Angee.